Nicaragua 0, Haiti 2 | 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup Match Recap
Steeven Saba scored on a deflected strike from distance, New York Red Bulls winger Derrick Etienne Jr. helped create a second goal, and Haiti completed a 2-0 victory over Nicaragua on Thursday evening in the Concacaf Gold Cup to remain perfect in Group B play.
Johny Placide made three saves to preserve the shutout for Haiti, which saw their place in the quarterfinals later Thursday when Costa Rica outlasted Bermuda for a 2-1 victory in another Group B match.
Manuel Rosas conceded an own goal for Nicaragua, which still remains in search of its first-ever point in Gold Cup competition. Los Pinoleros have now lost all eight of their matches in the tournament all-time after being shut out at Toyota Stadium.
- THE BIG PICTURE: The victory takes Haiti to their fourth Gold Cup quarterfinal berth, all coming since 2002, and their first in two consecutive tournament appearances. Haiti lost to Jamaica in the 2015 quarterfinals before failing to qualify for 2017. Nicaragua reached the 2017 tournament at Haiti's expense, winning a two-leg playoff between the sides.
- MOMENT OF THE MATCH: It was still 1-0 when Haiti's Carlens Arcus, already sitting on a caution, sent Byron Bonilla to the turf with another questionable challenge. Referee Mario Escobar very well could've brandished a second yellow card to Bonilla and change the match's complexion. Instead the referee showed restraint, and Haiti soon doubled their lead.
- MAN OF THE MATCH: Duckens Nazon. The striker assisted Saba's opener and was a constant threat despite the oppressive conditions in Frisco. After scoring twice in the 2015 Gold Cup, he's still in search of his first goal in the 2019 edition, but he's been plenty deserving.
- HTI: Monday, June 24 vs. Costa Rica, Gold Cup Group B (9 pm ET | FS1, UniMas, UDN)
- NIC: Monday, June 24 vs. Bermuda, Gold Cup Group B (6:30 pm ET | FS1, UniMas, UDN)